Saturday, June 25, 2016

Minsmere in May

My son Adam and I spent a highly enjoyable few days in the lovely county of Suffolk in early May this year. His primary objective was filming along the coastline, while I took the opportunity to visit the RSPB's flagship reserve at Minsmere at every possible opportunity.
I recorded 87 species of bird without much difficulty. The highlight was undoubtedly some of my best ever views of Bittern, along with sightings of two Cetti's Warblers, Barn Owl, Green Woodpeckers, lots of Bearded Tits and a personal favourite summer-plumaged Mediterranean Gulls. Non-avian highlights included intimate views of Adder, a Stoat attempting and succeeding to pull a large Rabbit through a tiny hole in a fence and butterflies including Brimstone and Small Copper.
It's easy to see why BBC's  Springwatch has chosen this site for their broadcasts for the past three years. Time precludes me from writing a more detailed post so just enjoy the photos.
And do visit the area if you can, you will not be disappointed.















 

No comments:

Post a Comment