Monday, May 7, 2012

Wheatears

Drove out to Crewe yesterday to look for the reported Wryneck as I have never seen one in Cheshire. The bird had been found at a site that I hadn't visited before, Maw Green Tip; birders often visit the most unusual places. On arrival in the area I was pleasantly surprised at the variety of birdlife to be seen, Sedge Warblers, Whitethroats, Lesser Whitethroats and even a reeling Grasshopper Warbler. But the Wryneck was proving elusive so I settled down on a grassy bank and enjoyed something even rarer this Spring, a bit of warm sunshine! After about an hour the Wryneck flew between two stands of gorse, perched briefly on a bare branch, then dived for cover never to be seen again that day. No photographs, but at least it was a Cheshire tick.
I made my way slowly back to the car and came across a small flock of Wheatears that I photographed in the early evening sunshine.
Saturday training update - did my first longish run since the London Marathon, ran 10 miles at 6.50 pace, but legs still not quite recovered.

Male Wheatear with takeaway.
Not the prettiest perch but a lovely bird.

Back lit shot of male Wheatear.



























No comments:

Post a Comment